Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Seeking Refuge

The Lord Almighty provides refuge from the enemy.  Most often in the form of His servants.  But Satan clouds our perception of the refuge trying to break thru the haze.  He’s a swindler who turns my blessings into burdens and cajoles me into thinking there’s solace in loneliness.  Children who need to be coaxed and soothed tearfully turn to their father for comfort.  Brothers and sisters in Christ offer help that I reject.  And Satan whispers that no one can ease the pain.
But he’s wrong.  Through prayer and perseverance I am learning to share my struggles with my fellow brothers and sisters.  The Lord is teaching me to be open and honest about my ailments.  And to look for the positive power revealed.  What good has come from my sickness?  What delightful pleasures have been presented?  For me, my children hit the top of the list.  Although there was a time and not that long ago, I considered them a burden.  And shamefully so.  But I have recently come to enjoy them as every parent should.  Their laughter feels my heart to the fullest and they lift my spirits.
My fatigue forces to me to slow down and spend time with them that I would not otherwise spend.  And there are ways to triumph, even when stuck in bed.  I pile the kids in with me!  Coloring, watching movies, playing games or simply reading books has never been more fun than when I’m relishing in the blessings only God can give.
So…be mindful of your attitude, quit fending off the gate, and look for the positive power God provides to those that love Him and are called according to His purpose (Roman 8:28 paraphrased).  After all no one likes to be surrounded by gloom.  So, I challenge you to find some blessings out of your burdens this week and put Satan on his rightful tack.

3 comments:

  1. Good one Nicole! I recently had someone ask me if I was OK. When I asked them yes, why? They said that the last few times they had seen me, I did not look happy. Wow. That was a slap in the face. I don't realize just how much the devils lies affect how I look. He whispers, you aren't good enough... you can't do all of this and do it right.... your never going to achieve that..... your too tired to go to church ...... you deserve to stay home.... and on and on.... And then when nobody acknowledges your absence, he immediately whispers..... you were never missed.
    Thank you for sharing!! I will attempt to be more mindful of my attitude this week! And to seek refuge where I know I will be welcomed with open arms.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nichole. Thank you so much for being so open and honest with us. Your candor in sharing your feelings are so helpful to the rest of us. Sometimes we are afraid to share what we are really going through because we don't want to look like we are complaining. As I type this, my hands hurt so badly...deep aches in the joints and the tingling from nerve damage years ago. I complain when I don't even want to, but somehow think my husband in particular won't know how much my shoulders, arms, and hands hurt if I don't keep telling him. I've never been one of those people who suffer in silence. I wish I could be. I feel sorry for myself...I remember the day delivering the mail and my arms & shoulders hurting so badly...not long after my bad fall. As I was approaching a house there was a lady outside doing yard work...I thought to myself, "I wish I felt like doing yardwork" and then.....I saw something that made me ashamed for complaining. SHE WAS MISSING HALF OF ONE OF HER ARMS! She smiled and I tried not to stare. It was so long ago...I don't remember if I asked her how she lost her arm. I was just so overwhelmed by her unstoppable spirit. Thank you for sharing. We all need to know that there are a lot of people out there a lot worse off and in more pain than we are. Love you and appreciate you, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You girls are such an encouragement to me! Thank you for your thoughts and comments. Before I wrote this I prayed that God would put the words on my heart that my readers needed to hear. He is so perfect in taking care of His children. Glad you have been encouraged today :)

    ReplyDelete