Saturday, April 16, 2011

A Person of Action

I used to be a person of action.  One who participated in every youth function I was involved in.  One who looked for a place to serve.  One who gave my heart freely without question.  One who dreamt of making a difference in this big wide world.  And then my world was turned upside down, and I lost the will to do anything.
Unable to enjoy life I sank into a pitty party that lasted for about 10 years.  As I’ve gradually worked through the struggles, I’ve come to realize that being a person of action [again] is what I want for my future.  One in which I can serve the Lord through my writing and use my talent of encouragement to reach others who are in need.
As I thought about how to do this I thought about something Dave Ramsey said on his radio show at the beginning of the year.  He was talking of goal setting and how dreams only become achievable when they are written down.  So I began to write.  I made of list of the things I wanted to accomplish on a daily basis and what I wanted to accomplish long term.
Making the list has made a world of difference.  I’ve never been a ‘goal setter’ but I’ve been amazed at how well I’ve stayed on course.  Four months in and I’m two weeks ahead on my daily bible read.  I’m writing weekly as I balance three different projects.  
I also recommend having someone of accountability.  I need to give a big shout out to Tia Stone who has enabled me to stay ahead of the game in my Bible reading.  Otherwise I would have quit a month after I started.  Thanks girl!
So do what you must to discover your God given talents.  Map out a plan and find someone to take with you on the journey.  Pray. Pray. Pray.  And be a person of action, despite your afflictions.

1 comment: